> Taekwondo Digest: Combination Counter-attack 3

Pages

Combination Counter-attack 3

Moving on to the next technique, in this post we shall talk about punching as a counter-attack technique. I have asked myself have I ever performed a punch in sparring? Yes. How about in an tournament? It seems seldom as I recalled from the matches that I have played before. I was punched on the padding before and returned with a kick. It seems that our training and preparation for tournaments have much emphasis on scoring and we are kind of drilled that kicks are stronger than punches and more importantly kicks are easier to score which this I definitely agree.

However punches in fact come in handy. If ever I have decide to participate in tournament again probably I will really want to try out punching be it that will be a score for it. But the aim is of course is to have great impact on the opponent. This refreshes my thought of how I like one favourite technique which is two punches followed by a kick and that kick usually is a score.

But today, let's talk about punching as an effective counter-attack technique and this technique consists of a slide or another and followed by a punch. This can be applied when the opponent performs an attacking turning kick and before he wants to perform another one that is where the punch comes in.

This technique can be practiced again with a partner simulating the attacking opponent and she/ he can wear double protectors to ensure that power can be well absorbed. However in order to achieve real effectiveness of this technique, the punch must first of all be strong. With regards how to train a strong punch? This probably can be discussed in another post next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, in a sparring match, I am usually tricked by punches whenever I am in close range. One day my sparring partner actually faked a punch to the head making me block high and then punched me in the midsection lol. I think I should understand how useful punches are, close range, but then again, I could run and punch, but that would lead me vulnerable to a spinning back kick, ouch. I think I am thinking too much though. How can I get confident in my attacks?

sg said...

Thanks for dropping by that feint punch is pretty effective sometimes as a form of deception. Many Taekwondo moves these days applied by professionals have much of feint moves involved usually with their footwork and sometimes on their hand movements.

In this game or like in many sports, the reflexes are really important, if one is fast enough, before the opponent perform a backhook, she/ he can move in fast to cut into the distance preventing the kick from coming out or simply just move back.

To get confident in attacks, it involve a series of stages sometimes. However in all these stages, it is important to note that, every technique has to be explosive that's why it comes with the shout or "ki", yet have to be ready for counter and defense. Thus when one is attacking, one should just go for the target as explosive as possible, practice during training, then sparring and later tournaments. The opponent maybe thinking of countering but it may not be so if was shocked by the sudden explosion.